NLEX head coach Yeng Guiao. PBA IMAGESGlobalPort made a lot of noise during the off-season wheeling and dealing. Last night, it made an even louder statement worthy of its buildup right in its debut in the PBA Philippine Cup.The Batang Pier flaunted their potential and manhandled the Mahindra Floodbusters, 97-75, showing vast improvements in play and depth in rotation to post the first blowout in the season-opening conference at Smart Araneta Coliseum.ADVERTISEMENT Terrence Romeo almost outscored the Floodbusters in the first quarter, 8-9, and jumpstarted the Batang Pier offense that dictated the rout.GlobalPort completed its buildup by naming Franz Pumaren as head coach after the multititled UAAP champion ended his stint with Adamson in a Final Four loss to La Salle.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSFreddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao is my Muhammad Ali“We’re still groping for form,” Pumaren said. “This is an entirely new team. There’s still a long way to go for us.”In the nightcap, Yeng Guiao began his career at NLEX with a 99-97 overtime win over Alaska. EDITORS’ PICK We are young Where did they go? Millions left Wuhan before quarantine Romeo finished with 29 points with highly-touted new acquisitions JR Quiñahan and KG Canaleta shooting a combined 19.GlobalPort team manager Erick Arejola thanked Adamson for releasing Pumaren, who reportedly has a contract until 2019 to handle the Falcons.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH 30 Filipinos from Wuhan quarantined in Capas Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town Smart’s Siklab Saya: A multi-city approach to esports Shanghai officials reveal novel coronavirus transmission modes ‘Bad Boy’ stakes Philippine title As fate of VFA hangs, PH and US forces take to the skies for exercise MOST READ Mainland China virus cases exceed 40,000; deaths rise to 908 PH among economies most vulnerable to virus View comments
14 February 2013While increased police visibility and improved procedures had contributed to a reduction in the levels of serious crime in South Africa, more still needed to be done, President Jacob Zuma said in Cape Town on Thursday evening.Zuma was delivering his 2013 State of the Nation Address in front of a packed joint sitting of Parliament attended by, among others, former presidents Thabo Mbeki and FW De Klerk.Levels of serious crime decreaseThe 2011/2012 crime statistics, released by the police in September last year, showed that murder had decreased by 3.1%, attempted murder by 5.2% and common assault by 3.4%.Car hijackings had dropped by 11.9%, cash-in-transit heists by 37.5%, and bank robberies and ATM bombings by 10.3% and 34.6% respectively.Police operations focusing on illegal firearms, stolen and robbed vehicles, liquor and drugs, which are regarded as main generators of crime, had assisted in the reduction, Zuma said.The President said improved policing and an enhanced criminal justice system were key to beating crime and corruption in South Africa, adding: “We urge the private sector to also take this fight against corruption seriously so that we tackle it from all angles.”Zuma said the capacity of the Special Investigating Unit (SIU), which had been compromised by lack of funds and personnel, had been increased from 70 staff members to more than 600.‘Zero tolerance’ of corruptionHe made it clear that combating corruption at all levels of government was of paramount importance.“I have since 2009 signed 34 proclamations directing the SIU to investigate allegations of corruption, fraud or maladministration in various government departments and state entities,” he told Parliament.Criminal investigations had been initiated against 203 accused persons in 67 priority cases under investigation by the end of September 2012, with pre-trial proceedings having so far been initiated against 191 persons.A total of 66 persons under investigation were alleged to have received R5-million or more through corruption, Zuma said, adding that orders for the freezing of assets had been obtained against 46 persons.The Asset Forfeiture Unit had seized assets valued at more than R541-million. A total of R61-million of these assets had already been forfeited to the state and would be channelled back into fighting crime and corruption.Zuma added that funding of R150-million from the Criminal Assets Recovery Account was approved for the work of the Anti-Corruption Task Team, which comprises the Hawks, the Special Investigating Unit and the National Prosecuting Authority.“These resources are aimed at strengthening the capacity of these law enforcement agencies in our resolve to fight corruption.”Source: SAnews.gov.za
As contradictory as it might sound, the stability of our loss prevention program is largely dependent on our ability to react and respond to change; and that begins with our people. The evolution of a successful and productive team is an ongoing process. Every member of our team has both personal and professional objectives and agendas, all of which will impact their approaches, their performance, their outlook and their potential.Most managers understand the importance of getting the right players on their team, and putting those players in the right roles. We attempt to hire talented individuals, place them in positions where we feel they can be most successful, and provide them with the appropriate loss prevention training to meet the needs and expectations of the job.Establishing and maintaining the expertise necessary to perform our required function demands that we develop the knowledge, skills, proficiencies and abilities of our team. Strong loss prevention training practices help build success. We train to cover the bases—the rules and guidelines, the fundamental competencies of the job, the essential ground rules that help to make people better at the position that they are in.- Sponsor – But leaders also recognize that our best team members don’t want to be stagnant. They want to move forward in their careers, and take the steps necessary to reach the next level—and the one after that. The development of knowledge and understanding and the practical application of our skills and abilities helps to groom us for what lies ahead.As a result, effective loss prevention training and development plans must prepare and elicit success for the individual in their current role, but must also draw on the individual’s potential, whatever that might be. A successful program will typically include the following steps:Assessment of individual proficiencies and identification of training needs. This should facilitate both the improvement of developmental opportunities and the enhancement of personal strengths. Appropriate and realistic goals should be established, as well as a means of assessing progress in relation to those goals.Development, implementation and delivery of needed training that will address those strengths and opportunities—the needs, motivations, desires, skills and thought processes that can assist the individual in making real and lasting changes.Encourage a commitment to action, to personal growth and to the plan.Frequent, consistent, and objective evaluation of the effectiveness of the training and development program; and the value it brings to the skills of the specific individual.Evaluation of the effect that the program has had on the individual’s performance and their ability to translate what they’ve learned into results, using objective measures wherever possible in order to ensure that goals are being met.Reassessment of skills, needs, and approaches where necessary and appropriate.Finding Our PlaceNot every employee has the ability or the desire to become the next Director or Vice President of Loss Prevention. But whatever role best suits the individual it should be our objective to provide them with the opportunity to become the best that they can possibly be. Loss prevention training and development programs provide us with that vehicle. A commitment to help our team grow and evolve must be built into our programs.By the same respect, it is ultimately every individual’s responsibility to create and manage their own development plan. We must take charge of our own careers. We can’t expect someone else to do it for us. There is no sword that we can pull out of a stone that gives us a divine place in the world. There is no wheel we can spin that will determine the right path for us. And while they may provide us with guidance and support, it is not the responsibility of our company, our supervisor or anyone else to do it for us.Opportunity is the result of effort. We must put together our own career map that determines where and how far our careers will take us, what direction we would like to go and what our final destination might be. We then plot the path that we would like to take. The role of leadership has never been to draw the map, but rather to guide the way; providing the compass that leads us in the right direction.By capitalizing on opportunities to enhance our knowledge and education, we are making an investment in our own future. To learn more about investing in your career, professional loss prevention training and development, and the certification process, visit losspreventionfoundation.org. Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
Queensland Touch Football (QTF) has appointed Mr Gavin Shuker as Chairman of the QTF Board following the recent resignation of Ian Haig from the role.Mr Shuker was identified as the logical candidate to continue the work undertaken by the Board over the past year under Haig’s leadership.Shuker has a significant history with the sport as an elite player and coach; captaining both the Queensland and Australian Men’s Open teams in the past as well as most recently leading the Australian Men’s 30’s team to victory at the FIT World Cup.“QTF is undergoing some change at the moment, as we have done for the last couple of years and the opportunity to be a part of the ongoing transformation is exciting. I am looking forward to the challenges that lie in front of us,” Shuker stated following his appointment.QTF CEO Jamie O’Connor said he was equally excited by the appointment and the prospect of working with the new Chairman and noted the different approach that Mr Shuker would bring to the role.“Gavin will bring a different skill set to the position to what the organisation has had previously. His background in the sport is practically incomparable but it is his unique view, his business sense and ability to develop relationships that are his greatest strengths I believe,” O’Connor said.Shuker will take the chair ahead of this weekend’s QTF Board meeting.For more information contact QTF CEO Jamie O’Connor on 0419 574 052.Related Filesqtf_appoints_shuker_as_chairman-pdfRelated LinksQTF Chairman Announced
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Guangzhou Evergrande table bumper bid for Barcelona attacker Malcomby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveGuangzhou Evergrande have offered Barcelona the chance to make a quick profit on Brazilian winger Malcom.Signed in the summer for €41m from Bordeaux, Malcom is the subject of a &eur;50m offer from Guangzhou, reports AS.Barca are willing to sell, with it emerging that their South American chief Andre Cury offering Malcom to Guangzhou before Christmas.The two clubs enjoy a good relationship having both bought and sold Paulinho over the past 12 months. The midfielder is now back with Guangzhou.For his part, Malcom will take some convincing about quitting Europe with ambitions of breaking into Tite’s Brazil squad front of mind for 2019.
Andros Townsend delighted with goal for Crystal Palace winby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveAndros Townsend was delighted with his goal for Crystal Palace’s 2-0 defeat of Norwich City.Townsend left the bench to net Crystal Palace’s second goal in a 2-0 triumph over Norwich and, speaking post-match, he explained his thought process as he entered the field of play to help the Eagles secure the victory.He said: “Even as a forward-thinking player, when you’re 1-0 up and you come on with 20-25 minutes to go, first and foremost you have to see out the win.”You’re the one with fresh legs, you have to help out the defence, track runners, all the ugly side of it. Thankfully I got my chance today and I took it and hopefully I can build on that now and go on a little run.”He added: “We dug-out well today and thankfully Wilf did a bit of magic like he usually does and I was able to finish it off. It was a good three points and now we can enjoy the weekend and go again on Monday. “Personally, it’s not been a great start to the season. I’m not hiding away from that. I have to keep working hard, take my chance like I did today and just be patient and when that chance does come again, I’m ready for it.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Minister of State for Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Ian Hayles, says here are no plans to increase imports of agricultural produce in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. He said that despite the estimated $2 billion in damage to the sector, adequate foodstuff will be available to meet the needs of consumers. “Let me make it quite clear, there will be no importation…in terms of the shortfall, the consumers of this country will have no problem,” he stated at a press conference at the Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA) office in Claremont, St. Ann, today (Oct. 31), prior to touring the parish. “We cannot continue to import day after day, month after month, it has to come to a stop” he stated, noting that the country’s high import bill for food far exceeds its export earnings. He noted that while the parishes of Portland and St. Mary were severely affected, and preliminary reports are showing some $50 million worth of damage in St. Ann, other food-producing parishes were not as badly affected by the hurricane. These parishes, he assured, will be able to meet needs, while the Ministry works quickly to put the affected farmers back into production. “So, in terms of imports, we are going to contain it, and at the same time, it is critical that we do everything now to put the farmers back into production as soon as possible,” he stated. The tour was to see firsthand, the damage to farms in the parish as a result of the hurricane, which hit the island on October 24. Some 1, 500 farmers in St. Ann were affected and 70 hectares of crops damaged. Mr. Hayles issued an appealed for all affected farmers to report the extent of their damage to their RADA office, so that any available assistance can be channeled to them as soon as possible. He said this is very important in ensuring that they get back into production early.
APTN National NewsThe Truth and Reconciliation Commission is holding their third national event on the East Coast.Hundreds of people are on hand to share their residential school stories.APTN National News reporter Taryn Della tells us about survivors who have come to Halifax to find their voice.
New Delhi: Delhi Capitals head coach Ricky Ponting is surprised that Rishabh Pant missed the bus to the World Cup in England and Wales, but adds it will be the perfect opportunity for the youngster to showcase his talent for DC in the Indian Premier League. “I had a quick chat with him on Monday night. He seems to have taken it well. Would obviously be disappointed but he has to remember he is very young and has potential to play three or four World Cups. “Should be a positive thing for DC as he can be the best player for Delhi. He won us one game single-handedly in Mumbai and am sure he will win more games. “I don’t know what went into selection criteria, not my business. I don’t think he is impatient. I think he sums up situations very well. I know he is a very talented and determined player. You might see a different player in the back half. I was surprised when he was left out. I thought he would be in the XI. He could have been the X-factor for India against some of the other teams,” he pointed. “Am sure they have good reasons to pick the squad they have. I will be surprised if he doesn’t play three more World Cups.” Having won three games on the trot outside home, Delhi returns to Kotla. And Ponting is confident of a good show against Mumbai Indians. “It shouldn’t be any more difficult than for Mumbai. We expect it to be slow and low. We are prepared. Thought it will play a bit better than last game. Hopefully we can play better. “We have to win the four games here. No team has qualified yet and we are the same. We need to do well. We have played 3 games, won one and lost two. Some of the other teams also have issues with their home grounds. You have to play well on a given day. We know what the conditions are going to be like. We are going to be hard to beat from here on,” he said.
Fez- A Moroccan military officer was sentenced by the military court of Rabat to 3 years in jail and a MAD 500 fine for espionage for a foreign country. According to the Moroccan daily news Assabah, a border guard was sentenced by Rabat’s military court to three years in prison. He was convicted of spying for Algeria.According to the same source in its edition of December 26, the officer was in charge of border security at the Zouj Bghal border between Morocco and Algeria. But the military officer says he is innocent and denies the charges leveled against him. According to Assabah, the soldier was arrested by the Algerian military and subjected to an aggressive interrogation, which focused on Morocco’s war arsenal of and the logistics used by the Royal Armed Forces.After the interrogation, the Moroccan officer was brought before an Algerian court, which sentenced him to a two month suspended sentence. After he was expulsed by the Algerian authorities and as he was about to resume his work in the border, he was arrested by the Moroccan authorities and brought before the military court of Rabat. Following an interrogation, he was accused of “violating the secrecy of National Defence” and “non-compliance with military rules,” according to the same source. But the officer claims that he did not disclose the secrets of Moroccan defense to Algerian intelligence services.