Happiness, they say, is infectious. Perhaps that is why the most popular course ever to be taught at Yale University—this semester enrolling 1,200 students, or a quarter of the undergraduate student body—is one titled “Psychology and the Good Life.”PSYC 157, or “Laurie Santos’ happiness class” as it is affectionately known on Yale’s campus, teaches practical advice such as how to pick a meaningful career and how to separate satisfying pursuits from hollow ones. And now, an expanded version of the class, filmed in Santos’ own house, is available for free on Coursera as part of a seminar-style series on “the science of well-being.”As Quartz’s Jenny Anderson noted in January, courses on happiness are cropping up everywhere across the US. The factors—like the country’s political upheaval and the burgeoning discourse on mental health in high-pressure settings like elite universities—are not hard to discern. Santos says the message behind her course resonates with students (and perhaps people of all ages, in general) who are striving to reconcile academic and professional rigor with social connectedness and life satisfaction.“I think students are looking for meaning,” Yale president Peter Salovey, himself a pioneer in emotional-intelligence research, told Quartz at the World Economic Forum in Davos this year. Read the whole story: Quartz More of our Members in the Media >
Guyana national women and men’s table tennis teams will venture to Kingston, Jamaica today to battle for regional honours at the 60th edition of the Caribbean Senior Table Tennis championships which concludes September 30. The men’s team will be led by national champion Christopher Franklin, who will be accompanied by Nigel Bryan, Shemar Britton and Joel Alleyne while the women’s team comprises Chelsea Edghill, Natalie Cummings, Trenace Lowe Jody Ann Blake and Priscilla Greaves who will compete in the Under 21 category.
10 INCREDIBLE Space Launch Failures! Omg this is awesome 🙂 Animals are so funny that you can die of laughter Top 5 Best Budget Hotels In Dubai under AED 400 a night. Rebekah Vardy scores an impressive penalty in six-inch heels Travel Diary // Vietnam 2017 People Slammed By Massive Waves 4 Source: Soccer – thesun.co.uk DayZ Amazing Mods ~ More Cars, More Guns, More Gore! LEEDS have signed Cody Drameh from fellow Premier League newbies Fulham.Last season’s Championship winners have moved to sign the highly-rated 18-year-old.Cody Drameh has signed for Leeds from FulhamLeeds today confirmed the full-back has signed a four-year deal to move to Elland Road for what is officially an undisclosed sum.But the fee could reportedly rise to as much as £1million for the youngster.The Mail reports a financial package could touch seven figures thanks to a number of clauses agreed between the two sides.Despite failing to make a professional debut under Scott Parker, Drameh is expected to remain with the Leeds first-team squad. The England Under-18 international impressed in The Cottagers’ Under-23 side last term.The right-back made 25 appearances for the youth side in all competitions, registering an impressive seven assists and one goal.Championship play-off final winners Fulham have made a habit of selling on their wonderkids of late.Drameh is the latest off the production line to leave, following in the footsteps of the youngest ever Premier League player Harvey Elliott who signed for Liverpool as a 16-year-old last year.Ryan Sessegnon also departed for Spurs after Fulham were relegated in 2019 in a deal worth £25million.Manchester City poached another England youth international in Patrick Roberts from Fulham in 2015 in a deal worth around £12.5million.Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu ‘close’ to joining Fulham on loan despite transfer interest from Norwich
BRIDGEWATER, N.S. – Six young Nova Scotia men treated the sexual integrity of girls as young as 13 like “bartering chips or baseball cards” when they shared intimate images of them without their consent, the Crown argued in its sentencing recommendations.The boys, who are all from the Bridgewater area, have admitted to forming a private Facebook group where they decided to exchange photos of at least 20 girls, ranging in age from 13 to 17, without their consent.They were scheduled to be sentenced Monday, but the case was adjourned until Sept. 6, due in part to the fact that one of the accused did not comply with the requirements of a pre-sentence report.Defence lawyers had also asked for more time after the Crown submitted a brief outlining proposed penalties.The 21-page document, submitted in Bridgewater provincial court, says the young men should be prohibited from using social media sites like Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat.“They treated the victims’ sexual integrity as bartering chips or baseball cards that could then be traded and circulated amongst friends,” the Crown brief states.“This objectifies the female victims and undermines their autonomy.”It recommends against jail time, but says the six young men should be on probation for two years, with the possibility of reducing that.“We’re expecting that the sentencing hearing is going to be in dispute — what the proper penalty is definitely not agreed upon by the defence,” Crown attorney Peter Dostal said outside court.“This isn’t a prosecution of just people sexting. This is a prosecution of people misusing these materials, disseminating them and potentially putting them out there for the whole world and that is the real evil that the criminal law has been attempting to stop.”The Crown brief also said the boys should be barred from contacting the victims, undergo counselling, try to find work or attend educational programming and complete community service.The defence lawyers declined to comment as they left court.When the six were charged in July 2016, four of the accused were 15 years old and the other two were 18. However, all were under 18 when the offences were committed, which means their identities are protected from publication under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. The victims’ identities are also protected.The case is one of Canada’s largest involving a relatively untested law introduced in 2015 to combat the non-consensual sharing of intimate images. It came after the suicide of Nova Scotia teen Rehtaeh Parsons, whose family says a photo of her allegedly being sexually assaulted was circulated among students at her school in Cole Harbour.Court documents said two Dropbox accounts were created for the purpose of sharing dozens of intimate images of girls in various states of undress or naked. An agreed statement of facts said everyone who uploaded photos either knew outright or were “wilfully blind” to the fact that the subjects didn’t consent to their distribution.In the agreed statement, the photos’ subjects cited a variety of motivations for sending the images.Some said they felt pressured by what they described as persistent requests for intimate images, while others said they were vying for boys’ affections or just joking around, the statement said.The document said one 13-year-old girl was repeatedly asked for sexual photos by one of the accused over the course of several days, despite persistent rejection. Another girl who was 14 at the time said the boy would talk about how they could trust each other, then asked her for naked photos.In the sentencing document, the Crown dismisses the argument that some of the young men allegedly provided unsolicited intimate images of themselves to the girls.“Any reliance upon the accused as being victims of the female’s actions further perpetuates the trend of victim blaming,” it states.?????
APTN National NewsThe Truth and Reconciliation Commission is holding their third national event on the East Coast.Hundreds of people are on hand to share their residential school stories.APTN National News reporter Taryn Della tells us about survivors who have come to Halifax to find their voice.
MONTREAL – President Donald Trump is blackmailing Canada, Mexico and asylum seekers in order to exert maximum pressure to reach a new NAFTA deal that is favourable to the United States and to get funding for his border wall, former Mexican president Vicente Fox said Wednesday.“In the case of Mexico, the blackmail is the wall. He wants the wall and maybe he will grant NAFTA,” Fox said in an interview from Mexico City.The outspoken ex-politician has nothing good to say about the U.S. president, whom he describes as ignorant, bigoted and dangerous.Fox said Trump’s racist comments about Mexicans being rapists and criminals and complaints about illegal immigration belie the fact that NAFTA has done its job in stemming the flow of people crossing the border.Canada and Mexico have to remain firmly united rather than give in to Trump’s demands for bilateral agreements with its two North American neighbours, he said.“I don’t see the advantage of going bilateral,” he said, adding that trade for Trump is a zero-sum game, in which he wins and others lose.“So whatever formula, whether bilateral or trilateral or whatever other formula, it will never work if he insists that the United States has to have a surplus and we have to have a deficit.”Countries like Canada that believe in globalization and entrepreneurship need to stand up against Trump’s bullying behaviour, he said, criticizing the president for verbally attacking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for his post-G7 meeting statement that Canada won’t be pushed around.“He’s a great prime minister doing a great job and this crazy horse, this crazy guy Trump doesn’t have the right to attack him the way he did.”Fox said he hopes the U.S. Democratic Party will make progress in November’s mid-term elections so Trump “can be bridled.”“Otherwise, we are all going to be paying a high price.”Canada and Mexico have both announced retaliatory tariffs after the United States imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum on them and a host of other countries.Fox said Mexico can also buy soybeans, yellow corn and dairy products from Brazil, Argentina and other countries to exert pressure on millions of U.S. farmers.Trump’s threatened tariffs on auto sector imports into the U.S. will raise prices for American consumers but, Fox said, won’t destroy Mexico because the country has developed a solid consumer market and can also shift exports to South America.American trade actions will only further drive countries into the trading orbit of China, which is increasing its business relationships in Latin America, Fox added.“China is ready to get in love with Latin America,” he said, adding that 1,000 Chinese business leaders are scheduled to meet next spring to drive up business in Mexico.The U.S. accounts for 20 per cent of the global economy but China is poised to overtake it as the world’s largest economy.He said Americans need to stand up to oppose Trump’s leadership.“Either they resist and repeal and change things or the United States will lose any remaining moral authority that they could have today by this stupid guy they have as president.”Fox spoke to The Canadian Press after it was announced he will join the board of Knowledgehook, a Waterloo, Ont.-based company whose platform analyzes the academic performance of math students in real-time to identify the best-practice teaching solutions to educators.The former president said that he hopes to use Knowledgehook to help Mexico’s education system, which had a high school graduation rate of 45 per cent. The platform will be implemented into Centro Fox Library in Mexico.
“People and communities deserve to have clean air. That’s why we are putting new rules in place that will lessen health impacts and allow everyone to breathe a little easier. We are also incentivizing the use of newer and cleaner technology with rules that give more flexibility if advanced burning technology is used to cut pollution.”According to the Government, new requirements to improve the protection of community air quality include more stringent rules in areas near communities, including shorter burn periods and a requirement to dry out debris, as well as larger setbacks from neighbours, schools and hospitals.More information on the new open-air burning regulations can be found on the Province’s website. VICTORIA, B.C. – The Province of British Columbia is making changes to regulations surrounding open-air burning.Taking effect on September 15, 2019, the Government says the changes will help protect B.C.’s air quality and people’s health by reducing fine particulate matter pollution.George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, says people deserve to breathe clean air and that the Government is offering incentives for the use of newer, cleaner burning systems.
New Delhi: Delhi Capitals head coach Ricky Ponting is surprised that Rishabh Pant missed the bus to the World Cup in England and Wales, but adds it will be the perfect opportunity for the youngster to showcase his talent for DC in the Indian Premier League. “I had a quick chat with him on Monday night. He seems to have taken it well. Would obviously be disappointed but he has to remember he is very young and has potential to play three or four World Cups. “Should be a positive thing for DC as he can be the best player for Delhi. He won us one game single-handedly in Mumbai and am sure he will win more games. “I don’t know what went into selection criteria, not my business. I don’t think he is impatient. I think he sums up situations very well. I know he is a very talented and determined player. You might see a different player in the back half. I was surprised when he was left out. I thought he would be in the XI. He could have been the X-factor for India against some of the other teams,” he pointed. “Am sure they have good reasons to pick the squad they have. I will be surprised if he doesn’t play three more World Cups.” Having won three games on the trot outside home, Delhi returns to Kotla. And Ponting is confident of a good show against Mumbai Indians. “It shouldn’t be any more difficult than for Mumbai. We expect it to be slow and low. We are prepared. Thought it will play a bit better than last game. Hopefully we can play better. “We have to win the four games here. No team has qualified yet and we are the same. We need to do well. We have played 3 games, won one and lost two. Some of the other teams also have issues with their home grounds. You have to play well on a given day. We know what the conditions are going to be like. We are going to be hard to beat from here on,” he said.
San Francisco: Joining the Competition Commission of India (CCI) and the European Union (EU), Italy’s antitrust authority has become the latest international regulatory body to launch an anti-competition investigation against Google. The probe was prompted after Italy-based energy company Enel Group complained that Google was not allowing the “Enel X Recharge” app to work with Android Auto — Google’s smart driving companion, The Verge reported on Friday. Usually, the search engine giant allows third-party developers to develop Android Auto-compatible versions of their apps, but only if they offer media or messaging services. Since “Enel X Recharge” is intended to help drivers find charging stations for electric cars, the app does not necessarily require a messaging feature. “Android Auto is designed with safety in mind, to minimise distractions and to ensure apps can be used safely when driving. We are reviewing the complaint and we look forward to working with the authority to resolve their concerns,” the repost quoted a Google spokesperson as saying. In India, earlier in May, the CCI ordered a probe into Google for alleged abuse of its popular Android OS to block rivals. The EU’s antitrust regulators in March fined Google 1.49 billion euros ($1.7 billion) for abusing its dominance in the online search market by blocking rivals.
As my boss, Nate Silver, wrote in his introduction to FiveThirtyEight’s March Madness predictions, 2014-15 was not a college basketball season defined by parity. For starters, Kentucky enters the bracket undefeated and — according to the Simple Rating System (SRS) — is the strongest pre-tournament team that the NCAA has seen in a while: But even beyond Kentucky, most of the other top teams this year are unusually strong, according to their SRS ranking. Wisconsin’s rating is about average for a second-ranked pre-tournament SRS team since the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, but Arizona is the eighth-best No. 3 in that 31-tournament period. Duke is the seventh-best No. 4. Villanova is the fifth-best No. 5. Virginia is the fourth-best No. 6. And Gonzaga and North Carolina each rank fifth among teams ranked No. 7 and 8, respectively. And 2015’s field only gets more impressive the deeper you dig:That’s why, if you look at the average SRS rating of the top third of teams in the field, the 2015 tournament ranks as the most top-heavy in more than a decade. Starting in the early 2000s, college basketball seemed to be trending toward a more even distribution of talent across the tournament, with fewer truly dominant teams at the top. Between Kentucky and its other unusually dominant peers, this season bucks that trend in a big way.Now, you might be tempted to think this is a case of the NCAA’s selection committee doing a better job of including the top teams according to statistical power ratings such as the SRS. And the sea of salmon-colored rows that make up Ken Pomeroy’s top 44 seems to lend credence to this theory. But in terms of average SRS, this year’s field features a pre-tournament rating of +11.7 — essentially no different from the +11.4 field average of a year ago.This season’s crop of tournament teams simply appears to be jam-packed with talent at the top, which we can only hope leads to an exciting month of basketball.Check out FiveThirtyEight’s March Madness predictions.