Combat Medic Turned Dispatcher Sues for Unfair Firing

first_imgThe suit says the next day, Busto did not go to work because the episode had triggered her stress disorder and she had a medical appointment. The city says the allegations are not true. The next day, Busto found that her access badge didn’t work, according to the lawsuit. ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — An Army veteran diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder is suing the city and the Albuquerque Police Department, claiming she was assaulted, discriminated against and wrongly fired. According to the lawsuit, Busto had an episode in October 2006 and took more than the usual dose of her medication. When authorities arrived, Busto said she didn’t need to be taken to the hospital. The lawsuit tells a story of escalating trouble between Busto and APD, starting when the department allegedly failed to make accommodations for her post-traumatic stress disorder, and ending when she was fired and allegedly taken to the Veterans Hospital in handcuffs. According to the suit, an officer allegedly “threw her to the floor, forcefully placed his knee on the back of her neck and handcuffed her.” “The allegations are factually inaccurate,” Deputy City Attorney Kathy Levy said. “We feel confident that once discovery is commenced, what actually occurred will come out.” Judith Busto, 22, was hired as a dispatcher in May 2006 after she returned from work as a combat medic in Afghanistan. The suit was filed by Santa Fe attorney Merit Bennett and seeks unspecified damages. According to the lawsuit, an APD employee offered to send an officer to take her to her appointment, but when the officer arrived, Busto was ordered to come out of her house with her hands in the air and not to make “any sudden moves.” She was allegedly taken to her doctor’s appointment in handcuffs. When another employee let her inside, she was handcuffed, taken to the veterans hospital and told without explanation that she had been fired, according to the suit. It said that the state Labor Department found her termination was not justified.“It’s scary, you know, because all I was trying to do was serve my city,” Busto said in an interview. “You’d think they (APD) would be more understanding of military people who have served their country and have come home. They made me feel like a freak.”last_img read more

Judgments and decrees interest rate set

first_img J udgments and decrees interest rate setThe Office of the Chief Financial Officer has set the quarterly rate of interest payable on judgments and decrees beginning July 1, 2015, at 4.75 percent per annum or. 000130137 per day.F.S. §55.03(1) requires the CFO to set the rate of interest payable on judgments and decrees on December 1, March 1, June 1, and September 1 of each year for the following applicable quarter. Last quarter, the interest rate was also 4.75 percent.For more information, contact the Bureau of Accounting at 850-413-5511 or visit www.myfloridacfo.com/aadir/interest.htm. June 15, 2015 Regular News Judgments and decrees interest rate setlast_img read more

Formula 1: Lewis Hamilton Claims Canadian Grand Prix Victory Over Sebastian Vettel

first_imgSebastian Vettel lost victory in the Canadian Grand Prix to Lewis Hamilton after being penalised for dangerous driving against his rival.The Ferrari driver made a mistake under pressure from the world champion, running wide at Turn Three, and pushed Hamilton wide as he rejoined the track.Race stewards decided Vettel had rejoined the track unsafely and penalised him five seconds for forcing Hamilton off the track.The Mercedes driver would likely have passed Vettel had he not been blocked with 22 laps still remaining.The move will doubtless lead to a major controversy but Hamilton was clear that he felt Vettel had been unfair.He said over the radio immediately after the incident: “He’s just come back on the track so dangerously.”Vettel complained vigorously, saying: “Where the hell else was I supposed to go? I had grass on my wheels.”Told to stay focused, he said: “I am focused but they are stealing the race from us.”Vettel complained that Hamilton could have gone to the inside but that was an inaccurate reading of the situation as it unfolded.Nevertheless, doubtless many will feel that Vettel should have been excused and the drivers allowed to race.However, others will see it as yet another error under pressure from Vettel, whose 2018 season unraveled as a result of a series of them and who made another in Bahrain earlier this year, spinning after being passed by Hamilton.And the stewards may well have used precedent to inform the decision, such as when Red Bull’s Max Verstappen was penalised in the same fashion for forcing then-Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen off the track in last year’s Japanese Grand Prix.RelatedThe 2017 Formula 1 Pirelli Magyar Nagydij ReviewJuly 31, 2017In “Sports”Lewis Hamilton Eager To Extend Lead Over Sebastian Vettel In JapanOctober 5, 2017In “Formula One”The 2017 Formula 1 British Grand Prix ReviewJuly 18, 2017In “Sports”last_img read more